Monday, October 9, 2023

Auschwitz-Birkenau and the salt mine



Today is very cold, gray, dreary, and rainy.  Seems very appropriate for a tour of  Auschwitz.  One picture is all I’m posting from there, but if you really want to see the rest, just let me know.
 

The second part of today’s activity involved a descent way down deep into a salt mine.  Well at least for Brian.  When I learned that the descent involved 800 stair steps, followed by a 2 hour walking tour of different levels in the mine, I wasn’t thrilled. But when our guide told me that the lift back to the surface wasn’t always working,  there was no way that I could face 800 steps back up, particularly after a 4 hour walk at Auschwitz. 


So Brian went and took these pictures. Everything you see is rock salt. All the floors, ceilings, walls, and all the carvings. The most amazing thing to me are the chandeliers which are made of salt.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment