Friday, September 29, 2023

The Griswolds embarrass themselves in Transylvania


What a day! Ok, we managed to get thru most of the day without putting a foot in our mouth, but no day would be complete without our doing something to cause a native to just give us “the stare”.


But before I get to that point, there was one unexpected serendipity. As we were headed to Bran Castle (which, contrary to everything you have heard, had nothing whatsoever to do with Dracula or Vlad the Impaler) our GPS offered a shortcut which turned out to be anything but. We ended up on an unpaved road, in the middle of a small town, and ran smack into a detour. But we did stumble upon the filming location of Nevermore School from the Netflix series “Wednesday”. Pure serendipity! 


And we did have a nice visit at Bran Castle where fortunately nobody noticed us driving the wrong way down a one way street! 


That was on Brian, but the next two were on me. When we checked into our hotel tonight I had to fill out a detailed form. As asked, I wrote down my birthday- 29/09/1948. But when the blank came to write down our arrival and departure dates I just automatically wrote 29/09/1948 and followed with 30/09/1948. 


Then tonight when we went to dinner there were 2 men dressed in black at the front door. I asked the first one very nicely for a table for 2, and that’s when I got the first stare. So I turned to the other one and asked him. And got the second stare. That’s when the first guy coldly said, “We’re the musicians.”

 

Pictures are Bran Castle.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment